Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Godhead Lesson/Journal Page

Last month's topic for our Young Women lessons was the Godhead. As we are starting back through the lesson topics, I was afraid it would feel like a repeat of last year, but so far I have been able to think up new ideas. (February and March might be repeats. They were just that good last year.)
For my lesson I made this handout/study page and had the girls split into groups, each to read the verses and fill out one of the three sections, and then share what they learned with the class. I think it worked great, but it didn't take up nearly as much time as I thought!
You are welcome to use this page for your own personal study, family, homeschool, lessons... whatever. Just don't pretend that you made it, that would be mean.
Here is the link to download the PDF of the page

Simple Chiffon Top

Hello Hello!
So I made this top awhile ago (November? December?) but we all know that I am not the blog queen.
I got the material from the clearance section at WalMart. (Is there a clearance fabric section in heaven? There has to be!)  It was $1.50/yd. I got two yards and from that made both a skirt and this top. Maybe someday I will get around to showing you the skirt.
I didn't use a pattern for the top, just cut out a basic dolman sleeve outline and faced the neck with a self-made bias tape from the extra material.  I wish I would have done something different on the sleeve... I just did a rolled hem for the sleeve and it looks kinda 'wirey' and isn't as flowy as I'd like. You can kinda tell in the photo... But, hey, for $1.50 it looks pretty fine and I plan on wearing a jacket over it any way. (Since it's been winter, I haven't really had the option NOT to.) But for the inexpensiveness of the material, it is actually pretty high quality. I've gotten much more terrible chiffon in the $5-$6 range, so I'm very pleased!
My barely 3 year old took the photo with my phone. But these days, thats about as good as it's gonna get for you. Too big of a pain to use a 'real' camera, and the only person around who can take a photo for me is a preschooler. I think he did a decent job. I said "I want a picture of my shirt" and this is what he gave me. (after I cropped a giant empty wall off the side.)
I really like the pattern and how it cascades off the shoulders. I feel like it's hard to find interesting patterns, especially in chiffon. You might find a floral (for big $$. I'm in love with one at JoAnn that is $8/yd. Can't justify that!) but it is usually an all-over print. Something like this, with the print on just one part, is rare. And because of that I think it gives it a more professional, store-bought look. Also taking extra care to line up the print and center it on your body definitely helps take away the homemade-ness of it all.

Have a lovely February, if I don't return before then!

Friday, January 3, 2014

Pajama Pants into a Toddler Shirt

I have been busy doing project after project and keeping up with the little boys, which is why you haven't heard from me. Not that anyone reads this blog anyway...
But I thought I'd update you with a project I did about six weeks ago (I picked this one because I actually  have photos of it... haha)
So Riley was in dire need of some winter clothes. All the warm clothes I bought him this summer in preparation for the winter don't fit, because he had a crazy growth spurt in the fall.  Of course the thrift store was picked clean, and when I tried the 'normal' stores... well, I just can't bring myself to spend more than $5 on a kid's shirt that I know will be stained after it's worn once or twice. I know, I'm cheap!  And since we rarely leave the house on these winter days (and when we do leave the house we're wearing jackets), it didn't have to look particularly great.
I found some old (like, from the year 2000) pajama pants in my closet that didn't fit anymore, because I'm not 12, and decided it would make a great shirt.  I thought about making my own pattern but was too lazy and ended up using this free pattern from Small Dream Factory in size 24 months with long sleeves. I just added some cuffs at the bottom of the sleeves (which I accidentally sewed on backward, don't tell!) because without them I thought it looked too much like a pajama shirt. I also added a pocket because he's a boy, and boys have to have pockets. It's like a rule or something.

The original pants
modeling his new shirt made from my old pants


Hafta say, I absolutely loved the pattern! (especially for free!) It fit more like a 2T-3T, which is exactly what I was going for. I will definitely be making more from this pattern in the future. (and teaching Riley how to model... thats the best photo I could get after almost an hour of begging!)