However, although the pattern was simple it needed a lot of alterations to be something I would enjoy. The first problems I knew before I started sewing: it is WAY short. I had to add several inches to make it long enough for me. The second was the exposed zipper. Yuck. I did an invisible zipper instead. I also had to bring the neckline in a bit.
After I had sewn the dress and put it on, I saw more problems. This dress is quite straight and shapeless. I don't feel comfortable looking like a box. I took in the sides at the waist but it was still pretty plain. Then my brilliant husband suggested adding a belt. I added a simple 1/2 in belt with a snap to hold it together and I think that relaly did the trick. Overall, I love the dress, but it took a lot of alterations from the pattern to make me like it. I'd suggest using the pattern as a base, but be aware it's something you might have to make some (or many) changes to.
Here is a rare photo of me, modeling the dress as I wore it to my husband's work Christmas party (the tights are navy, not black, I swear!):