Monday, December 10, 2012

Simplicity 2149 Pattern Review

Okay so I should have posted this like a month ago... I always underestimate how crazy things get in December.  This was a sample that I made for JoAnn's, Simplicity 2149.  Ite gave me more trouble than it should have (my fault, it was all bad fabric choices, not bad patterns).  Here's the story:

Simplicity 2149
I really liked the pictures on the pattern envelope... until I found out that I was supposed to sew the one view I didn't like (view E). I was also supposed to use plaid (which doesn't bother me, I like plaid.)  But I hated view E. View E is a crop jacket with 3/4 sleeves and fringe trim.  I wanted the pretty long jacket.  And so, I compromised as much as possible.  I knew I would still have to do the fringe, but I lengthened the sleeve by adding a cuff, and I lengthened the jacket to be waist length (views C and D).  I used a thick woven material I found in the red tag clearance at JoAnn's.  I don't even know what it was, but it was pretty much a blanket, and the end was frayed so I didn't have to buy fringy trim.  The material/blanket is very warm and cozy... but I'm pretty sure I should've had an industrial machine to sew that stuff!  If there were more than two layers, it hardly fit under the presser foot.  I had to yank that sucker through, meaning that if you look close enough, you'll notice the sewing quality is extremely sub-par. The pattern itself wasn't bad.  Quite a few pieces but easy to assemble.  No lining, easy to mix and match elements of different views.  I would recommend this pattern and would love to sew it again (view B this time!)  As far as my actual garment is concerned, eh.  I'm going to have to do some alterations when I get it back.  I think I'll remove the trim, add a triangle collar, and add buttons the full length of the front.  It fits well (and looks so much better on a body than on a hanger) but that fringy stuff... It really looks like I'm wearing a blanket from the 1970's.

No comments:

Post a Comment