Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Cooking a whole pumpkin

Whew... it's been quite a week, as you can tell by my severe lack of posting anything to keep you occupied!

Well, I looked at the calendar and realized it was December, so it was time to get rid of my pumpkin.  I saw on one of the blogs I follow that you can cook any pumpkin whole and thought I'd give it a go! Prior to seeing this, I thought that you could only eat the special 'pie pumpkins' and that you had to clean them and slice them before cooking.  Way too big of a pain for me.  But I just used your typical carving/decorating pumpkin, and yes, I cooked it whole.  Easy Peasy!

First, you've gotta stab some good holes in your pumpkin, just like you are baking a giant potato.  Then you put him in a glass dish and bake him at 350 until he's soft.  Mine took two hours.

Going in the oven (be sure to lower your rack and make space before turning it on!)

After baking
 Then I skinned him, cleaned him, and separated him into three bowls:
Preparing the cooked pumpkin

Three bowls - flesh (to be pureed) seeds (to be roasted) and scraps (to be fertilizer)
 I roasted the seeds.  I mix them with olive oil, worchestershire sauce, and salt, then roast them on a cookie sheet at 250 for about two hours, stirring every 20 mins or so.

Then I pureed the flesh.  This will be used in place of canned pumpkin in recipies.  It stays good frozen in glass jars for up to two years!  Freezing is so much easier than canning.  A can of pumpkin has about 1 3/4 to 2 cups of pumpkin in it, so thats how much I put in my jars.  Be sure to freeze with the lid off, then put the lid on after freezing for a few hours (in case it expands while it freezes - if the lid is on it will make the jar crack.  If the lid is off it will just spill over the top.)

pureed pumpkin ready to go in the freezer

After it was all said and done, I made me some Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins! Yummy! 

Because I got my pumpkin for 8 cents a pound, the whole thing cost me about a dollar.  I scored 8 cans worth of pureed pumpkin plus yummy roasted pumpkin seeds for $1!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know you could do that either. I can't wait until we have a deep freezer/more storage space to do stuff like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You think i have the space? Whenever i open my freezer everything falls out on the floor. There isn't an inch left!

      Delete