Sunday, November 25, 2012

Inspiration Sunday: Does God want you to be happy?

Hmph.  I love holidays, but that post-holiday laziness is kicking in, and I'm about ready for a vacation.

Today my lesson was on righteous living.  I was really on a roll when I was planning it, and had a lot of great notes and scripture verses.  But apparently the girls in my class were also feeling the post-holiday malaise.  So, yeah, the interest level was a little low.  Teaching teenagers is so different from little kids. Soooo out of my comfort zone.

 
Anyway, as I was planning the lesson I began to think of those I know (and myself at times) who are not living righteously and use the excuse "But it makes me happy!  Doesn't God want me to be happy?"

Yes. God wants you to be happy. But the happiness you feel from sin is counterfeit happiness.  It is temporary, it is fleeting, it lasts only for a moment.  Only God is the author of true joy, and everything that God creates is eternal and everlasting.

How do you find true, lasting happiness?  It is not in doing as you please.  There must be a law, (hmm... theres an idea for another post!) and that law is God's law.  There is no greater happiness in this world than knowing that you are following the path that God has chosen for you.  He knows better than you what will bring you lasting happiness.  He wants you to feel happiness, and will provide that for you as you become the woman/man that God knows you can be.

So here's your challenge (ahem, my challenge to myself, but you are welcome to join):
If you are feeling low in some way (specifically guilt or lack of self worth), examine your life to see if there is somewhere you can repent and improve.  I'm not suggesting you are committing any major sins, but we all have something that we can improve on and this improvement will also increase our happiness, dignity, and self-worth.


This post was linked up to:
Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. Kourtney, I'm loving your blog. I've been lying in bed catching up on months worth of posts. I wish I had time to keep up with all the blogs I follow but life gets busy and that totally bums me out. I love that you want to improve yourself and that you blog! We're kindred spirits I think. :) I also enjoy your Sunday posts...keep it up. Maybe someday you can teach me (or Sophia) how to sew. I have a machine that gets no use and a Pinterest board that is taunting me. xo, Jess

    P.S. Give Max and Riley a big kiss for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Letting a good sewing machine go to waste is a sin!! C'mon! Make me proud and be the holly homemaker I know you can be! :)

      Delete
  2. Kourtey,

    I know there have been times when I've thought I'm a good person, why am I not happy? The scripture that says "despair cometh from iniquity" really is true. It can be the smallest of things that can burden us and take away our happiness, such as a lack of self love, a lack of enough gratitude, too much caring about what others think of us rather than God (familiar mistakes). I like that, a lack of dignity and self worth, really does happen when we are not true to ourselves, our godly selves that is. To thine own (godly, not natural man self) be true. ;) thanks Kourtney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! It really is true, just little things (for me right now its definitely getting stressed over the good and better things while ignoring the best things) easily set you out of alignment. If only changing your bad habits were as easy as recognizing them!

      Delete
  3. I love this post! I think teaching Sunday school to teenagers would be really tough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy, it's Mia Maids, and I suddenly appreciate everything that my YW leaders did. I thought keeping little kids attentive and under control was tough, and right when I think I get the hang of it theres 14 year old girls. I have yet to learn the techniques for keeping teenagers interested. Plus if you've seen the new lesson 'manuals'... A totally different direction, it will be an interesting adventure.

      Delete