Wednesday, November 28, 2012

“Frozen” Fruit Salad in Pastry Cups

For Thanksgiving I was asked to bring a “fruit salad or jello”. Jello is boring, especially for the biggest meal of the year!  So I decided to try something new and adapted this recipe from a few others.  It is easy and it could pass as a fruit salad or as a dessert – now that’s my style!



For the salad:
1 8oz cream cheese
12 oz wipped cream or thawed cool-whip
2-4 T sugar (less if your fruit was canned, more if it is fresh)
6 cups of chopped fruit (can be fresh, canned, or frozen)
(I used: 1 c mango; 2 c strawberries; 2 c pineapple; 1 c banana, and wish I would have added apple or pomegranate seeds)
1 can mandarin oranges (for topping)

Blend the cream cheese and whipped cream until there are no more chunks. Mix in sugar.  Add fruit.  Spread in a casserole dish and freeze for four hours.  Thaw just until you can scoop it out with a spoon and scoop into serving bowl or pastry cups, then top with the mandarins to make it look fancy(ish).  If you are serving it for a dessert it would be nice to drizzle some melted chocolate over the top.

For the cups: (this is what my aunt calls "cookie crust")
1 1/2 c flour
1/4 c sugar
1 t salt
mix in a bowl then add
1/2 c oil
2 1/2 Tb milk

Mix together until a doughy consistency, then take off pieces about the size of a ping pong ball and press into the sections of a well-greased cupcake pan. (DO NOT put them on the back of the cupcake pan. the crust is too flaky and falls off while it bakes into a giant crumb mess - put in IN the cupcake pan, right side up).  Bake at 425 for 10 minutes or until lightly brown.  This made about 18 cups for me, but I broke a couple trying to get them out of the pan.


(Perhaps you have noticed the watermark on my pictures? I'm prepping for PINTEREST! I haven't spent much time there and since I'm not computer savvy it will take me awhile to figure out how to use it.  But when I get it figured out, I will let you know!)
This post was linked up to:

No comments:

Post a Comment