Saturday, November 10, 2012

Butternut Squash Two Ways

Guess what?? It's squash season! I love love love winter squash! Unfortunately, my husband hates it.  Also unfortunately, I'm not really great at cooking it.  I found two recipes on allrecipies.com  (links below) that I thought I'd try.  I did have to tweak the recipes a bit to fit what I had on hand, so I'll post what I used, and link you back to the original recipe.

Right up front, I'm going to tell you a big con about both these recipies: the prep.  Slicing a big squash is hard work, and then you have to remove the seeds and boil/steam it a bit to soften it up.  Make sure you have a big sharp knife and a strong person to come relieve you when your hands start to hurt.

Amazing Butternut Squash


1/ 2 butternut squash- peeled, seeded and cubed
Preheat oven to 350.  Slice squash, bring to a boil, then simmer until soft.  Mash squash, then mix in mayo, onion, egg, sugar, salt, and pepper.  Put in 9x9 square baking dish.  Mix together crackers, cheese, and butter, sprinkle over squash.  Bake for 35-45 minutes until topping is browned.
 
The review: Pretty good. It was more savory than I expected, and was good leftover.  I will be making this again.
 
 
 
 
1/2 butternut squash
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 cup cornbread mix
salt & pepper to taste
vegetable oil for frying
 
Peel and slice squash into small pieces.  Combine egg and milk in one bowl, dry ingredients in the other.  Heat oil in a fry pan.  Coat squash in egg mixture, then dry mixture.  Fry until golden brown.
 
The review: I liked it, but didn't love it.  I'm not the greatest fryer though, it seemed kinda soggy.  They weren't very good leftover either.  I'd only suggest this if you are good at frying things (unlike me) and if you know you'll consume them all at once. 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I love butternut squash! I bet it is so good fried. I have just been loving squash this winter too. Especially the squash purees in stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, do you know how to fry? you'll have to teach me. Everytime I try to fry something it ends up really soggy. But yes, squash is the best. Someday I want to have someone else in the house who will help me eat it!

      Delete