Tuesday, November 6, 2012

21 Days to an organized sewing room: Storing the Pattern Collection

Despite the weekend setbacks, step 5 in my plan was something I didn't have to change  - organize those patterns!  I have enough patterns (and material) to run a small fabric store! (okay, a very small fabric store).  The problem is how to store the patterns.  Growing up, my mom had all her patterns thrown into a basket, and all her fabric scraps thrown into one giant box.  That just isn't going to work for me.
So, as far as patterns are concerned, awhile back my grandma gave me a bunch of vintage patterns in a box specially made to store patterns. For some reason, I never thought that such a thing existed.  I don't want to spend the money on some fancy schmancy box.  (This organizing project is supposed to be free!) So, I took the box apart, traced it onto some cardboard pieces I already had, and then glued and taped it all together.  (measurements are included if you want to make your own)

pieces for the box



After I did all that, I caught sight of the Costco milk boxes sitting by the trash can.   Sometimes, good things happen when you are lazy and don't take out the trash!  The Costco milk boxes are almost the exact same size as the pattern box! (not quite as pretty, but functional)  So, I'm also using those too and just making lids to go on top!

So, with my boxes made and collected, today's task is organizing the patterns and prepping for the real work - organizing the fabric. I can't decide how to do that. By color? by type? by size? There are too many variables! I am also thinking up ideas for how to store 'projects in progress'.

As far as the book goes, I laughed when I read Day 5 - making a contingency plan and anticipating obstacles. A little late. :) She did make a wonderful point - don't let a few setbacks destroy the whole plan.   She used the example of a diet.  If you cave and eat a piece of cake, does that mean that you've failed and should quit the diet? No.  Just eat extra healthy for the rest of the day and try harder tomorrow!  So, while I'll have to rethink my strategy, I do not have to give up on my goal!

Day 6 was about setting realistic goals.  This is definitely something I need to work on.  I am the expert at setting lofty goals and setting myself up for failure. (no, I can't clean the whole house with a toddler following me around un-cleaning the house, but I can keep one or two rooms presentable)  This is helping me recognize the smaller goals I can make that will be stepping stones to my larger goals.

Thanks for reading, and stay tuned for more sewing room organization madness! (p.s. please comment, even if it's just to say hello!)

No comments:

Post a Comment